Skip to main content

Meters Department

Meter Services' primary function is to ensure timely and accurate meter readings monthly. This Department continually maintains the District's 8,500 water meters and meter reading infrastructure. Including testing 5,006 Backflow devices annually. The Department will investigate and resolve meter service problems and questions whether it be read discrepancies or customer requests. The reading of the meters occurs monthly, starting on the first working day of the month. The district meters are assigned to three cycles totaling fifty-five routes. The meters are read using an electronic mobile collector and a handheld device that stores the readings. The Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) system makes up approximately 95% of the District's meters; the other 5% of the district meters are read manually by foot. A meter reader collects the meter reading consumption in an AMR system by driving a district vehicle with a truck-mounted radio, the "Mobile Collector." The meter reader drives predetermined routes and quickly picks up the read data rather than having to walk and manually read those routes. The other 5% remaining meters are manually read.

When meters are broken or functioning inefficiently, staff will either repair, replace, and test the water meters; clean and replace surrounding meter boxes. The Department applies District procedures when investigating and reviewing with customers on a variety of water service problems. They perform flow and pressure tests as needed at the meter service. The Department Interprets and reads maps to locate district assets utilizing the GeoViewer software. The Department also operates water system valves and hydrants as required and assists with main water shutdowns. The Department is responsible for verifying and report service information corrections and respond to service orders issued by the customer service staff.

Join our mailing list